Things I'm Terrified Of
On a scale of 1 to 10, I'm probably about a 6 as it relates to "scary personalities." Not that my personality is scary (well...maybe it is...), but I carry a healthy dose of fear with me on most days. It's stupid, really. I shouldn't be scared of as many things as I am, but here we are writing a blog about it, so I guess it's safe to say I'm one of those freaks who scares easily. And the really stupid thing is that the things that scare me are ridiculous. They aren't all as common as "heights" or "failure". So at the risk of exposing my freak card, here are the things that absolutely terrify me:
1) Scary movies. I just don't do them. I still have nightmares about "Candyman". I can't even watch the actor (Tony Todd) play other roles like the one he played in "The Rock". To me, it's just "Candyman on Alcatraz Island."
2) Being eaten by a shark. Look, it's scary. Haven't you seen Shark Week? It just seems like such a violent death. Amiright? I was once snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef (when life was amazing and my parents funded my extra curricular activities), and I saw a Nurse Shark. In reality the shark posed no threat to me. But in theory, that shark could have decided that kelp and minnows weren't going to satisfy it that day, and "people" may have been on the specials board.
3) Being burned alive. Another tragic death... Like what does one do while burning to death? Now you're terrified thinking about it aren't you? True story: the reason I sleep with the door closed to my bedroom is because somewhere I read that the closed door will keep the fire from the hallway out. I don't know if that's true, but I definitely think about burning alive every night before I go to sleep and what I can do to prevent it.
4) Jumbotrons. Most people can't wait to get on the Kiss Cam. I'm horrified by the idea of being unknowingly displayed in front of tens of thousands of people. What if you are eating a hot dog and then spill ketchup on your shirt due to shock? Mortifying.
5) Snakes. I can't even talk about them.
6) Being Broke. It's unreasonable and I've never been close to this happening, but it is something I fear big time. It's probably why I'm so tightly wound about money and planning for the future. It's interesting because while dating my husband he revealed to me that right after he was on active duty and at the beginning of his freshman year in college he lived in his car for a month. So when I told him about my fear of being broke he laughed and said, "that's not a fear, that was just 1992". Damn. #Perspective
7) Wasting My Life. I spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about whether my life has any meaning. I legit sometimes will stop dead in my tracks and wonder, "am I fulfilling my purpose?" Like if I'm not making some impact on someone or in some way every second of the day, I often will think, "you're wasting your life." It's dumb. It's also why I'm in therapy.
8) Not being as interesting as I think I am. This one is self-explanatory.