5 Birthday Revelations
Today is my 36th birthday! I am officially claiming "mid-30s" this year and it feels just fine. Here are a few birthday revelations and things I've learned in the last year of life:
1) You REALLY are as old as you feel. I was all prepared to wake up and feel closer to 40 than I did yesterday but the truth is, I don't! (I had the same feeling last year). I feel about 25 most days and I'm learning to hang on to that. I don't give much thought to the actual number of years I've been around because in reality, it's the experiences you have within those years that count.
2) Ain't nothing wrong with a little hair dye. Yep, I have fully embraced the powers of hair dye! I fought it for so long thinking that "I will rock this gray hair" when I'm just not "there" yet. So I am thankful for the magic in that little bottle! After all, I can't feel 25 and look much older than that!
3) Naps are what's up. I never used to be a napper but something happened early on this year and one day I just fell asleep at 2pm...on a Tuesday. And you know what? It was life-changing. How did I not know about the great benefits of napping in the middle of an afternoon?!?!?
4) I really cherish alone time. I never used to be comfortable being alone and would look for groups to be around just to feel normal. Lately I've shifted that perspective and realized that it's in the quiet moments alone where I can find the peace to reset and refocus. Now I look forward equally to my time alone and with others.
5) Sex is better when you get older. I will just leave this one right here...(happy birthday to ME....hallelujah!).
Photo by: Niki Benjamin Photography